Skip to Content

Help with unexpected issues

For the latest information relating to COVID-19 follow the NSW Health Facebook page and visit

When life takes an unexpected turn, you can get advice and support.


disaster image


NSW Government consolidated COVID-19 information website.

COVID-19 NSW Government services and help

The NSW Department of Communities and Justice has launched a website with information about how we are responding to the COVID-19 pandemic and continuing to serve the NSW community.

DCJ COVID-19 (coronavirus) website

ASIC’s MoneySmart website is a trusted and well-known source of government information on financial issues.

COVID-19 money tips
The ASIC MoneySmart website’s information on superannuation and implications of withdrawing superannuation.

COVID-19 superannuation tips


The Service NSW bushfire customer care service has specialists to help guide you every step of the way.

Call 13 77 88

Bushfire customer care


Visit the DroughtHub to find out about financial assistance, wellbeing services and other resources.

Call 1800 678 593

Drought hub

The Country Women’s Association may be able to assist with household expenses.

Call 02 8337 0210

Drought aid - CWA

Other natural disasters

Check here to find out about natural disaster assistance for communities and individuals directly affected by flood, fire, storm damage or any other declared natural disaster.

Check here to find out if you are eligible to apply for a disaster recovery payment.

Disaster recovery payments

The Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline can give you advice on emergency fodder, emergency water, livestock or domestic animal assessment.

Call 1800 814 647

Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline

Simple steps to get ready for natural disasters.

Natural disasters - get ready

Other emergencies

Emergency financial help and relief – get help in a financial crisis from a provider near you.

Help in a financial crisis

Emergency housing – Link2Home can help you if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.

Call 1800 152 152

Emergency housing

Find support services you need now - Ask Izzy.

Local support - Ask Izzy

Money Issues

Money going down image

Debt and Financial Difficulty

It’s important to seek help quickly if you feel debt is getting out of control. The National Debt Helpline provides free, independent and confidential service.

Call 1800 007 007

Debt problems - Helpline

These solutions from the National Debt Helpline may help you make your debts more manageable.

Debt solutions - Helpline

Mob Strong Debt Help has financial advice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Call 1800 808 488

Financial advice - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

Money tips and resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Money tips - Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people

If you are going through a really tough time and can’t pay a debt or fine owed to the NSW government, there may be options available to you.

Can't pay NSW government debt?

Check here for help if you are having trouble paying your council rates. Help with council rates

If you have a tax debt, find out steps you can take to get on top of it.

Help with tax debts

The Financial Rights Legal Centre is a free community legal service that can help you if you are in financial stress. They can help with consumer credit, banking debt recovery and insurance issues.

Call 1800 007 007

Help with financial stress

Community Legal Centres can help with a range of issues.

Call 1300 888 529

Help with legal issues

Your bank may be able to help you through the tough times. Contact your bank’s financial hardship team as early as possible if you have money problems.

Help with financial hardship

Services in the community can help you with money worries too. Here are links to some organisations who may be able to help.

Lifeline call 13 11 14

National Seniors Australia
call 1300 765 050

Salvation Army call 1300 371 288

Financial problems - lifeline

Financial problems - National Seniors

Financial assistance - Salvation Army

A practical guide if you are having problems with your home mortgage.

Call 1300 888 529

Help with mortgage stress

Safe, fair and affordable loans - If you are on a low income and need to borrow money (up to $1,500), you might be eligible for the No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS).

Safe, fair affordable loans

Bankruptcy is a legal process where you're declared unable to pay your debts. It can release you from most debts, provide relief and allow you to make a fresh start but it is important to know all the possible consequences.

Call 1300 364 785


Financial abuse

If someone takes away your access to money, manipulates your financial decisions, or uses your money without consent, you can get help.

Call 1800 737 732

Financial abuse - 1800RESPECT

Financial abuse - protect yourself

Free confidential legal information and advice about financial abuse.

Call 0481 730 344

Financial abuse - legal help

Check here to learn more about signs of financial abuse.

Financial abuse - signs

The NSW Ageing and Disability Helpline can give you information about financial abuse of older people and people with disability.

Call 1800 628 221

Financial abuse - older people and adults with disability

Avoiding scams

A scammer will try to get you to give them money or personal details. Scams can happen to anyone – find out how to protect yourself with the ACCC’s Little Black Book.

Scams - protect yourself

To protect yourself from scams and cybercrime, visit NSW Fair Trading’s website.

Scams and cybercrime - learn more


If you think gambling is affecting your life you can get help.

Call 1800 858 858

Online gambling help - free and private


complaints icon

Individual consumers and small businesses can get fair, free and independent dispute resolution for financial complaints about:

  • Credit, finance or loans
  • Insurance
  • Banking deposits and payments
  • Investments and financial advice
  • Superannuation

Call 1800 931 678

Financial complaints - free and fair dispute resolution

If you have a problem with a retailer or business, check here to see if NSW Fair Trading can help.

Make a complaint about a retailer/business

Small business owners and family enterprises can get help to find the best business dispute resolution service.

Call 1300 650 460

Small business and family enterprise - dispute support

Energy Made Easy provides independent help with problems involving your energy service problems.

Energy - dealing with problems

Small businesses and residential consumers can get free and independent help with phone and internet complaints.

Call 1800 062 058

Phone and internet complaints - free and independent

If you need help because English is not your first language, use the Translating and Intepreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450. The service covers more than 150 languages. There is no charge for the service.

Was this content useful?
Last updated: 15 May 2020